- Actor Darshan Dharmaraj passes awayon October 2, 2022 at 3:34 am
Award winning Sri Lankan actor Darshan Dharmaraj passed away at the age of 41, according to family sources. MORE..
- Woman in bus killed in shooting incidenton October 2, 2022 at 3:14 am
A 29-year-old woman travelling in a bus has died after reportedly being accidentally shot during a shooting incident at Danowita, Gampaha. MORE..
- Sri Lanka team departs for ICC T20 World Cupon October 2, 2022 at 3:03 am
Sri Lanka men s national cricket team left for Australia this morning (02) to participate in the ICC T20 World Cup tournament in Melbourne. MORE..
- More than 129 people killed after stampede at Indonesia football matchon October 2, 2022 at 2:42 am
At least 129 people were killed and around 180 injured at a soccer match in Indonesia after a crowd stampede during a riot, police said on Sunday, in what appears to be one of the world s worst stadium disasters. MORE..
- Fairly heavy rainfall expected in parts of the islandon October 2, 2022 at 2:31 am
The Meteorology Department says showers will occur at times in Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Kandy, Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts. Fairly heavy rainfalls above 75 mm may occur at some places. MORE..
- Death toll from classroom explosion in Afghanistan rises to 35on October 1, 2022 at 6:30 pm
The death toll of a suicide bombing on a Kabul classroom has risen to 35, the UN said Saturday, as Shiite Hazara women who bore the brunt of the attack staged a defiant protest against the “genocide” of their minority community. MORE..
- Chinese fertilizer controversy- Audit report recommends prosecuting officials involvedon October 1, 2022 at 6:24 pm
The special audit report by National Audit Office on the controversial procurement of 96,000 metric tons of organic fertilizer from a Chinese supplier reveals that the Sri Lankan government has incurred a lost to the tune of Rs. 1,382 million in the process. MORE..
- Gazette on high security zones revokedon October 1, 2022 at 3:25 pm
The Gazette Extraordinary issued by President Ranil Wickremesinghe has revoked the High-Security Zones declared in parts of the Colombo District under Official Secrets Act. MORE..
- Unit 3 of Norochcholai power plant reconnected to national gridon October 1, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Breakdown in Unit 3 of Lakvijaya Power Plant in Norochcholai has been fixed which suffered a breakdown earlier this week, Minister of Power Energy Kanchana Wijesekera says. MORE..
- Extended power cuts not required until next January – PUCSLon October 1, 2022 at 1:22 pm
The chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) says there is no need to impose extended power interruptions until next January. MORE..
- Petrol prices slashed from midnight todayon October 1, 2022 at 11:46 am
The Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) will reduce prices of Petrol 92 Octane and Petrol 95 Octane with effect from midnight today (Oct. 01), Minister of Power Energy Kanchana Wijesekera says. MORE..
- Mobile app launched to detect authenticity of liquoron October 1, 2022 at 11:29 am
The Department of Excise has introduced a mobile application to detect the authenticity of liquor bottles available for purchase in the market. MORE..
- Fonseka files FR against declaring high-security zones in Colomboon October 1, 2022 at 10:19 am
Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka and Attorney-at-Law Sudath Wickramaratne have filed a fundamental rights (FR) petition before the Supreme Court, challenging President Ranil Wickremesinghe s move to declare parts of the Colombo as high-security zones. MORE..
- Naval, fishing communities advised not to venture into seaon October 1, 2022 at 9:02 am
The Department of Meteorology warns that there is a possibility of swell waves increasing up to about 2.5m – 3.0m and strong winds, gusting up to 60-70 kmph in the sea areas off the coast extending from Galle to Pottuvil via Hambantota. MORE..
- Social Security Contribution Levy comes into effect todayon October 1, 2022 at 7:24 am
Social Security Contribution Levy, which was passed in the parliament with amendments in early September, is effective from today (October 01). MORE..
- Special discussion on National Weather Plan its contribution to country s developmenton October 1, 2022 at 5:53 am
A discussion on the national weather plan contributing to the development of the country was held on Thursday (29) at the Presidential Secretariat under the leadership of President s Secretary Saman Ekanayake and the Deputy Leader of the United National Party, President s Advisor on Climate Change Ruwan Wijewardene. MORE..
- President Ranil s message for Children s and Elders Dayon October 1, 2022 at 3:36 am
President Ranil Wickremesinghe, in his message for the World Children s and Elders Day, says everyone should join hands in committing themselves to usher in an era where all children and elders will be taken care of compassionately. MORE..
- President returns to island after Japan, Philippines visiton October 1, 2022 at 2:49 am
After concluding a successful official visit to Japan and the Philippines, President Ranil Wickremesinghe returned to the island last night, President s Media Division (PMD). MORE..
- Showery condition to enhance south-western areason October 1, 2022 at 2:01 am
Showery condition is expected to enhance some extent in the south-western part of the island, the Department of Meteorology says. MORE..
- Russian President Putin proclaims Ukrainian annexation, vows to win waron September 30, 2022 at 6:21 pm
A defiant Vladimir Putin proclaimed Russia s annexation of a swathe of Ukraine in a pomp-filled Kremlin ceremony, promising Moscow would triumph in its “special military operation” against Kyiv even as some of his troops faced potential defeat. MORE..