- Sri Lankan envoy discusses collaboration in transport sector with Indian Ministeron March 24, 2023 at 5:00 pm
High Commissioner of Sri Lanka to India Milinda Moragoda met with Indian Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari, in order to discuss opportunities for bilateral cooperation in the transport sector. MORE..
- Supreme Court to deliver verdict on Central Bank (Amendment) Billon March 24, 2023 at 4:20 pm
The Supreme Court is due to deliver the verdict on the petitions filed against the Central Bank (Amendment) Bill confidentially to the Speaker of the Parliament. MORE..
- Electricity supply disconnected at Immigration Dept. branch office over non-payment of billson March 24, 2023 at 3:17 pm
Several persons who were at the Kurunegala Office of the Department of Immigration and Emigration today (24 March) were inconvenienced after the electricity supply to the building was disconnected owing to the non-payment of bills. MORE..
- Court allows detention of man who surrendered after mutilating arms of anotheron March 24, 2023 at 2:55 pm
The Moratuwa Magistrate s Court today (24 March) permitted the Mt. Lavinia Divisional Criminal Investigation Unit to detain and interrogate the suspect arrested over the mutilation of a man, for 48 hours. MORE..
- World Athletics bans transgender women from female eventson March 24, 2023 at 2:29 pm
Transgender women will no longer be allowed to compete in female track and field events regardless of their levels of testosterone, World Athletics President Sebastian Coe says. MORE..
- Sri Lankan-born Australian Ambassador to Zimbabwe presents credentialson March 24, 2023 at 2:02 pm
Sri Lankan-born Minoli Tehani Perera, who was appointed as the Australian Ambassador to Zimbabwe, presented her credentials to the President of Zimbabwe, President Mnangagwa, on Wednesday (22 March). MORE..
- BASL urges IGP to ensure safety of Saliya Pierison March 24, 2023 at 1:37 pm
The Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) has responded to the protest staged outside the residence of BASL President Saliya Pieris, PC this morning (24 March). MORE..
- Dhananjaya denies claims he refused to play 1st ODI against NZon March 24, 2023 at 12:41 pm
Sri Lankan cricketer Dhananjaya de Silva has refuted claims that he refused to bat at No. 07 position in tomorrow s ODI match against New Zealand. MORE..
- Sri Lanka to hold investor and creditor presentation next weekon March 24, 2023 at 11:33 am
Sri Lanka will hold a virtual presentation next week to update its commercial creditors and investors following the receipt of IMF Executive Board approval for the bailout package. MORE..
- Sri Lanka repaid first instalment of Indian credit line – Siyambalapitiyaon March 24, 2023 at 11:27 am
From the first tranche of the IMF bailout package, USD 121 million was used to repay the first installment of the Indian credit line, State Minister of Finance Ranjith Siyambalapitiya says. MORE..
- Families of victims of Harak Kata stage protest outside BASL Presdient s houseon March 24, 2023 at 10:36 am
A group of persons staged a protest before the residence of President s Counsel (PC) Saliya Pieris s residence this morning (24 March), against his decision to represent underworld kingpin Harak Kata . MORE..
- Dollar rate goes up against LKRon March 24, 2023 at 10:33 am
The Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL) today (24 March) announced the official exchange rates. MORE..
- Man who severed arms of another surrenders before courton March 24, 2023 at 10:10 am
The suspect who was recently caught on CCTV footage as he mutilated a man has surrendered before the court. MORE..
- India s Congress leader Rahul Gandhi disqualified from parliamenton March 24, 2023 at 9:58 am
India s parliament disqualified the leader of the opposition Congress party, Rahul Gandhi, on Friday, a day after a magistrate s court jailed him for two years in a defamation case linked to Prime Minister Narendra Modi s surname. MORE..
- TSP fertilizer being successfully distributed island-wide – Agri. Ministryon March 24, 2023 at 8:38 am
The Ministry of Agriculture says 27,000 metric tons (MT) out of the 36,000 MT of Triple Super Phosphate (TSP) fertilizer (Mada Pohora ) donated by the USAID have been distributed to all agrarian service centres in the country over the past four days. MORE..
- Restructuring of CEB and CPC to be expedited – Kanchanaon March 24, 2023 at 8:09 am
Minster of Power and Energy Kanchana Wijesekera has stated that certain reforms pertaining to both, the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) and the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) have begun. MORE..
- Parliament Select Committee to look into child malnutrition in Sri Lankaon March 24, 2023 at 6:51 am
A special Parliamentary Select Committee has been appointed to study if child malnutrition is exacerbating in Sri Lanka. MORE..
- Sri Lanka international bondholders may see 20% principal haircut – analystson March 24, 2023 at 5:58 am
Holders of Sri Lanka s international sovereign bonds face a 20% principal haircut in the country s debt restructuring as well as maturity extensions and a reduction in coupons, according to a Barclays report. MORE..
- Lanka Sathosa reduces prices of 10 essential food itemson March 24, 2023 at 5:45 am
Lanak Sathosa says it has slashed the prices of ten essential food items with the intention of providing further relief to the people. MORE..
- DMC, NBRO and Met. Dept. to be modernized with World Bank assistanceon March 24, 2023 at 5:28 am
The government has decided to proceed with the Work Bank-funded project to modernize the Meteorology Department, Disaster Management Centre (DMC) and National Building Research Organization (NBRO), Defence State Minister Premitha Bandaran Tennakoon says. MORE..